Choosing to have a log home built can often mean choosing between cedar and pine. Many companies make use of pine, but that is not your best option. Big Twig Homes uses only top quality cedar for a reason. In fact, there are numerous reasons why the cedar that we use is superior to pine. Do you need to know a little more? To start with, Big Twig Homes makes use of Northern White Cedar for their Katahdin cedar log homes in order to provide you with the best advantages. Here is why cedar makes the better option for your new home.
- Cedar is a natural insect repellent. You will automatically have protection from bugs or insects when you have your home built from this material. Pine does not provide the same insect protection.
- Cedar is also very resistant to rot. Because the wood produces its own preservatives, it will be much more durable. Your cedar log home will remain looking beautiful for a much longer amount of time than could be achieved with pine.
- Water content is important. Cedar wood contains a lower water content than pine and it acclimates much more quickly. What does this mean for your home? Wood with high water content will be much more prone to rot, cracking, splitting and other damage. Your cedar log home will be more durable than pine in this manner as well.
- Energy efficiency. The rating for how a wood transfers heat is called an R-Value. The higher the R-value that your home has, the more energy efficient it will be. Cedar has a much higher R-Value than pine, making it the more efficient option for your home.
- Environmentally friendly. Because Northern White Cedar is 100% renewable, you will not be doing any damage to the environment by using it for your own home build. In fact, the cedar forests offer high quality growth, providing a better environment and a better habitat for the indigenous wildlife of the Northern Maine area.
Should you choose cedar for your log home? As you can see, there are numerous advantages to this wood when compared to pine. This is why Big Twig Homes only uses top quality Northern White Cedar in each of the Katahdin cedar log homes that we build. It is the best option for your own home and we would be glad to start discussing plans with you today.